Unique 10 months online course
The ultimate guide to the procedural mentality for the real-time interactive production
Course with curated support starts in:
Also we have a self-learning course form
You can start learning now!
Houdini and TouchDesigner
are complementary programs for solving a wide spectrum of creative tasks for 3D graphics, motion design, performance art, and interactive installations.
Both programs are based on the same node engine and share the procedural approach, a variety of data formats, and UI concept.
Become a professional in motion graphics and interactive technologies and kick start your career as a realtime 3D artist
TouchDesigner 099 / 2022
10 hours Weekly
End date: 2023.10.20
WE DON'T TEACH THE PROGRAMS AND BUTTONS, BUT THE WAY OF THINKING AND WORKFLOW
WHAT MAKES THIS COURSE UNIQUE ?
It's a first course in the market combining different programs with a continuous comparison of pros and cons of solving different production tasks in each of them.
You will learn to find solutions yourself.
You will deeply understand the data flow and hidden logic of Houdini and Touchdeisgner.
"In my course, I chose a family of the 2 oldest and most powerful software systems sharing a lot of ideas and tools and produced by the same prophet mind.
Since then Houdini and TouchDesigner have been developing independently and in different ways while still employing a lot of common concepts and techniques, providing the artist with a great variety of tools for creating both real-time and non-real-time graphics and art"
"My teaching style was being developed in the cource of 21 years of educational practice and is based on the academic approach which:
- doesn’t just explain the “menu options” but the ideology and paradigm of the software,
- teaches you how to think in terms of nodes and corresponding grammar, while still providing enough of practical examples and cases.
I will explain in parallel the similarities and differences between the both programs."
Stanislav Glazov, Course Author
- Extremely fast diving in practical work
- We teach to think out of the box and to find your own ways to solve the problem
- Academic approach with an in-depth look into the procedural paradigm
- Parallel learning of TD and Houdini while choosing the workflow through researching pros and cons of each program and within a practical framework
Actually learning TouchDesigner you are already learning Houdini and the opposite
FIELDS OF APPLICATION
Generative Art and 3D graphics, compositing, and FX
For a wide range of use: art, video production, advertising, internet,
Using TouchDesigner and Houdini together, you can create automated audio-reactive shows. Yes, you can also control lasers and lights.
TouchDesigner is a great tool for mapping, working with generative graphics and real-time video processing.
Realtime Data Visualization and motion graphics
For any task that requires working with data.
Interactive Installations and Presentation
Program interactive logic, use kinetic sensors, cameras, sound, data and create installations limited only by your imagination.
Application and Pipeline Building
Quickly prototype interfaces and workspaces.
WHO NEEDS THIS COURSE?
- Media Artists
- Motion Designers
- 3D Artists
- VR / XR Producers
- NFT Artists
- Interactive Developers
- Video Engineers
How can you make your work more effective using a procedural approach?
- Find a unique solution instead of using standard approaches
- Extend your professional field of application
- Save your time using digital assets and realtime rendering
What you will learn?
- Understanding of visual and code-based programming
- Node-based workflow, and data types inside Houdini & TouchDesigner
- Exchanging geometric and animation data and outputing the final results in Houdini & TouchDesigner
- Making real-time compositing and color grading, postprocessing effects, and producing generative textures
- Visualizing sound and synchronizing animation with sound
- Animating by means of procedural and keyframe animation and programming the interactive logic
- Creating procedural geometry and complex generative systems
- Setup rendering in Houdini using Mantra, Karma, and Redshift
- Creating dynamic simulations and growth effects
- Setup real-time rendering using TouchDesigner
- Integrating sensors and external programs into TouchDesigner
- Creating your own asset library
- Building custom UI and managing a content playback
- Exchanging data between Houdini/TouchDesigner and Unreal
Understanding proceduralism is a key to generative modeling and animation as well as a way to develop abstract thinking abilities for creating generative art, automating tasks and optimizing your workflow
SKILLS YOU WILL ACQUIRE:
- DEEP UNDERSTANDING OF DATAFLOW AND PROCEDURAL
CONCEPT OF HOUDINI/TOUCHDESIGNER
- PROCEDURAL MODELING AND ANIMATION
- BASICS OF PYTHON/GLSL PROGRAMMING
- WORKFLOW OF THE PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERING
YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CREATE:
- GENERATIVE ABSTRACT TEXTURES
- PROCEDURAL 3D MODELLING AND ANIMATIONS
- PERFORMANCE UI AND LOGIC OF THE MEDIA SERVER
- DATA-DRIVEN MOTION DESIGN SYSTEMS
- INTERACTIVE APPLICATIONS
- A-V SHOWS
- The course is completely prerecorded and includes around 150 video lessons.
- All lessons are structured in 3 levels: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced.
- Each level contains 3 blocks of modules.
- Each module contains 3 lessons with one project.
- Each lesson contains several videos, detailing the theme.
- After the 3rd lesson, you will have a week to finish the assignments and a live stream with Q&A.
- After each level, you will have an additional week to finish the assignments and relax.
- For communication, during the course, we have a chat with a tutor, course curators, and other participants.
LEARN CONCEPT, WORKFLOW AND TOOLS FOR PROCEDURAL GRAPHICS AND INTERACTIVITY DUREING THE 10TH MONTH INTENSE COURSE
In the first level, we have to make a very fast introduction to the theory and praxis of using TouchDesigner and Houdini.
Level separated into 3 modules.
Skills after the level
After this level, you will be already practicing TouchDesigner user with the practical skills for:
- visualizing simple 3D scenes
- do compositing and video processing
- the content playback
- and keyframe animations.
You will also have a basic understanding of the TouchDesigner/ Houdini approach to work with geometrical data.
- Lesson 1: Introduction
- Lesson 2: UI and Basic Projects
- Lesson 3: Compositing
- Lesson 4: Animation - Chop concept
- Lesson 5: Timeline and Animation
- Lesson 6: Python in TouchDesigner
- Lesson 7: Movie Bin
- Lesson 8: SOP Intro
- Lesson 9: Geometry Attributes and Procedural Modeling
- Lesson 10: Direct Modeling and Rendering
In the second level, we concentrate on Procedural Modelling, Rendering, and Dynamics Simulations in TouchDeisgner and Houdini
Skills after the Level
Deep understanding of SOP Workflow, including:
- Creating complex scenes with Geometry Arrays.
- VOP and Vex
- You also will be able to make a dynamic simulations using:Bullet Solver, Particle Systems, Vellum, and SOP Solver
- Use TouchDesigner PBR Rendering and adjust Shaders using GLSL
- Use RedShift, Mantra and Karma Rendering
- Create generative textures using Substance Designer and import them to TouchDesigner and Houdini
- Lesson 1: CopySOP and Geometry Loops
- Lesson 2: Procedural Modeling Technics
- Lesson 3: Instancing
- Lesson 4: Building a Landscape Scene
- Lesson 5: Rendering in TouchDesigner
- Lesson 6: Rendering in Houdini
- Lesson 7: Particles in TD and Houdini
- Lesson 8: SOP Solvers and Geometry Growth
- Lesson 9: DOP Context in Houdini
In the third level, we go through the practical cases, including:
- AudioVisual performance system
- User Interfaces and interactive installations,
- Web Integration and Data Visualisation
- Integration of Houdini and TouchDesigner with Unreal Engine
Skills after the Level
You will be able to:
- Work with Kinect, Leap Motion, and other sensors
- Integrate the TouchDesigner with Ableton
- Work with JSON API and create nice data vizualisation.
- Create Digital Assets and Automated tasks using Python Scripting.
- YBuild modular complex applications
- Create Digital Assets and export them to Unreal Engine
- Lesson 1: Digital Assets
- Lesson 2: System Architecture and UI
- Lesson 3: Preset System
- Lesson 4: Depth Sensors (Kinect, Realsense, Zed2, Leap)
- Lesson 5: Render Pick and Multitouch
- Lesson 6: Stock Exchange Asset
- Lesson 7: Interactive World Map
- Lesson 8: Sound Synthesis in TouchDesigner
- Lesson 9: Integration with Ableton
- Lesson 10: Houdini Engine for Unreal
- Lesson 11: TouchEngine for Unreal
- Lesson 12: Integration with Unreal
- Access to all course materials for self-study
- Access to the general student chat
- Comfortable diving into the program: a new lesson opens every week automatically
- Periodic streams with discussion of issues
Incl. VAT: 295,45 €
If you have EU VAT ID, please
contact us to avoid double tax
Curated Learning - Early bird
- Access to all course materials
- Access to a private chat for students
- Access to master classes and webinars
- Homework checking
- Curators' help with the tasks
- Final exam
Incl. VAT: 418 €
If you have EU VAT ID, please
contact us to avoid double tax
*We offer the possibility of paying in installments:
the first part - now, and the second - within 90 days after the start of the course
Choose 'Go to a partial payment' on chekout
WHO IS TEACHING?
3D and audiovisual artist with over 22 years of experience in computer graphics and 20 years of teaching experience
Worked in the production of the computer game Killer Tank, Pilot TV, on the first Russian animation projects in the Classic Studio, on the largest film projects in the German studios Trixter Film and Scanline CA as a technical director for pipeline, Character Animation, Cloth Simulation TD, RnD for VFX.
After 2010 - creation of an automated infographic visualization system for Kommersant TV, cooperation with the largest Russian companies - SilaSveta, Stereotaktik, Invisible, Raduga Design - on VideoMapping projects.
In 2013, he created his own generative design studio Licht.Pfad.
Cooperation with WhiteVoid.
Creation of AV Performances in partnership with Dasha Rush, Robert Lippok
Performances at all the iconic festivals of the planet: Berlin Atonal, Mutek Montreal, Ars Electronica Linz, Unsound Festival in Krakow, Raster-Noton night in Berghain, Barbican London, Resonance Festival in Tokyo, Mira Festival Barcelona, L.E.V. Festival, Light Festival Lyon
Since 2016 - working on theater projects with Maxim Didenko, including the creation of media servers for various performances.
Creation by Stanislav of the first author's course. It was a course on character animation in Maya, prepared for Realtime School in collaboration with Maria Stepanova (Animation director and teacher at VGIK)
> 40 performances
at major international festivals and conferences such as CGEvent (lectures on Houdini), Signal Festival in Prague, LPM Rome, Touchdesigner Summit in Montreal, etc.
> 2,000 people
have attended various trainings and courses by Stanislav - both organized by him personally and conducted jointly with various schools and institutes (among the latter - "Realtime", "SAE Academy", "Screamschool", "Houdini-Howto + RRM", "Bilgi University")
Curator, Motion Designer, VJ
Facilitator, Media Artist, VJ
Curator, Media Artist, Sculptor
We guarantee the high-quality education based on the system developed through 20 years of tutoring experience
The courses were detailed and provided some excellent examples and techniques that are difficult to find. examples of elsewhere
You are definitely a world leading expert in TD.
Best TD course's I've ever found.
Media artist, VJ
Stanislav Glazov's courses are the best thing that happened in my life. So if suddenly someone is still in thought - here's a sign for you.
Artist, Curator and Educator in new media
Saint-Petersburg, Russia / Tbilisi, Georgia
I was lucky to meet Stanislav in the very beginning of my career, about 12 years ago. His courses made a great effect on my learning progress and built a strong foundation for further development. We are good friends since then and he is still a unique source of knowledge, thanks to his broad experience.
Deep in researching and excellent approaches from point of view of proceduralism
Jacopo William de Denaro
I truly appreciate what I am learning, it is an edgy topic and it is a pleasure to learn it from a master, not an easy thing to find In standard education.
There is a very high skill level of knowledge.
The course cover all the most relevant informations I think
Depth of knowledge, nice and practical examples
Tam Kar Wing
Very Academic teaching
- Does it make sense to take a course if I'm not a motion designer, but I want to learn how to work with TouchDesigner and Houdini?
- Yes. Despite our emphasis on motion design, the Hou2touch course is for anyone who wants to expand their professional capabilities with TouchDesigner and Houdini
- Is it possible to pay monthly for the course?
- Partial payment option available: 50% before the start of the course and 50% 90 days after the start
- How often do new lessons appear?
- Every week you will have a new lesson. For convenience - each lesson consists of several videos to make them easy to view
- It turns out that every week I have to allocate a few hours of time for training for 10+ months
- Yes, the weekly opening of new lessons should develop in you the habit of learning. At first, it may seem difficult for you to get used to it, but the more time you devote to education, the more you will enjoy the process. This is a proven method that brings results.
- Should I do my homework?
- Of course. We are interested in you learning how to use TouchDesigner and Houdini. It's impossible without practice.
- What performance monitoring systems do you have?
- When studying with curatorial support - our curators check homework and give feedback. After passing through major topics, a stop lesson appears. The student is given a week to complete homework on the lessons learned before learning a new topic.
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / 10
- Apple macOS 10.12 and up
- A minimum of 1GB GPU memory and use of the most recent Nvidia drivers, AMD drivers or Intel drivers is recommended. TouchDesigner uses OpenGL.
- Nvidia GeForce 600 Series Card or better
- AMD HD 7000 Series Card or better
- Nvidia Quadro K Series Card or better
- AMD W or V Series Card or better
NOTE: Not all features are supported on integrated video chipsets and there is a lower expectation on overall performance.
- Intel HD4000, HD5000 and above
- A three-button mouse with scroll-wheel is required.
- Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (64 bit)
- Requires 64-bit Intel-based or Apple Silicon Mac with macOS 10.13 and higher
Note: on an M1 mac it is NOT supported natively yet. You can run via Rosetta and therefore the performance won't be as good as it will be once native support is added.
- 4GB VRAM or more is required.
- A GL4.0 compliant graphics card is required. GL3.3 cards will have missing features and lower GL versions will not run Houdini 19 at all.
- NVIDIA Quadro & GeForce GPUs: 511.09 Studio Driver or higher
- AMD: 21.Q4 or higher
- Intel 22.214.171.12455 or higher.
4 GB required
12 GB or higher recommended and 64GB strongly recommended for fluid simulations
Intel or AMD x64 CPU with SSE 4.2 required
Free up time for lessons and have fun